As videos are catching more attention in the Facebook newsfeed, millions of leading brands are incorporating these video ads into their marketing campaign.
According to Sheryl Sandberg, 1.5 million small and medium-sized businesses shared videos on Facebook in September of 2015. “Some likely paid to turn those videos into ads to get more views. And considering average ad revenue per user in the US shot up 50% this year, the video ad strategy is working,” says TechCrunch.
Facebook video ads are not just the trend to follow. It is a great strategy that works to engage visitors, push leads, and fuel engagement.
Being home to billions of active users, Facebook makes a great platform to promote your product or service. Also, nothing captures the eye more than a compelling video. Here are some of the benefits of Facebook video ads:
- Precise targeting: One of the best parts of Facebook video advertising is it is easier to target a specific audience through the demographics settings in the campaign management tools. You can target only those people who are likely to be interested in your brand.
- Cost-effective: Have you heard about the 10-second viewing feature of Facebook video advertising? It allows you to pay only if people actually watch your video. That means you don’t need to make a hole in your pocket. The cost-effective benefit of Facebook video advertising makes it a suitable option for the small or new business.
- Flexibility: Facebook also provides marketers the option to choose cost-per-impression. This provides you more control over how you buy your ad. With Facebook video advertising you can get a chance to capture the best value and meet your brand’s objectives.
In our opinion, the BIGGEST benefit of Facebook video ads is that they allow you to build an audience of engaged people. You can use a Custom Audience to retarget people who have watched 3 seconds, or 10 seconds or some percentage of your video and show them another ad.
- Show videos that don’t require sound: No sound might sound bizarre until you take the time to reflect on how you view videos on Facebook. While from time to time it might be in the comfort of your own home, people are often browsing through their news feeds to kill time on their commutes, while in a restaurant or public place, or while taking a brain break at work.
- Add Captions to Your Videos: Do you know 85% of the Facebook videos are viewed without sound? With these figures, how will you make your video ads work with audio off? The answer is simple, add captions. “Internal tests show that captioned video ads increase video view time by an average of 12%,” Facebook reports.
- Get to the point quickly: At Wistia, we’ve found that video length matters when it comes to business videos. After analyzing millions of videos, Wistia data showed that on average, people watch more than 80% of a video shorter than 30 seconds. Keep your ads short, sweet, and engaging to get to the big points faster.
- Get your branding in right away: As it turns out, you should definitely mention your brand within the first 3 seconds of your Facebook video ad. In a meta-analysis of video marketing data, Facebook found that consumers were 23% more likely to remember which brand made a given video ad if the brand was featured in the first three seconds and 13% more likely if the brand was featured after four seconds (compared to ads where the brand wasn’t explicitly shown in the video):
- Think mobile first: With over 95% of Facebook users accessing the platform on mobile devices and 65% of all Facebook video views now coming from mobile users, Facebook video advertisers would be wise to make mobile video their number one priority. Focusing on mobile viewers won’t break the bank, either—Facebook mobile video ads tend to have a lower CPM and a higher engagement rate than desktop video ads. On top of that, Facebook’s meta-analysis of video ads on Facebook and Instagram found that mobile-first ads had longer average view times and better brand recall than mobile-adapted or traditional video ads.
- Pay attention to and learn from your video stats: Once your Facebook video ads have gained a significant amount of views you need to take a step back and determine if the money spent is yielding a return. How many people are watching videos? Clicking on your ads? Visiting your website after watching? Understanding how your Facebook video ads impact your target audience will help improve your video production and advertising strategy to ensure your business is positively impacted. (Check out these benchmarks for Facebook ads to see if your metrics are where they should be.)
In the end, it’s not about a one-size-fits-all recommendation. It’s about using video as part of your campaigns to help further your brand and your message.
Need help setting up your Facebook video ads? Contact LinkPoint today to learn more about our Internet Marketing Services!